“Bush is not going to leave office with Iran still in limbo” (& Giuliani’s girls vs. Obama’s girls)

July 19, 2007

* For once, an article in the liberal press tells it as it is: “Arabs pile into Darfur to take land ‘cleansed’ by Janjaweed”
* Policeman jailed for 16 years for raping Holocaust survivor

 

CONTENTS

1. “Bush is not going to leave office with Iran still in limbo”
2. Not so peaceful Nobel Prize winners
3. Italian ambassador treats wounded troops to Mediterranean hospitality
4. For once, an article in the liberal press tells it as it is: “Arabs pile into Darfur to take land ‘cleansed’ by Janjaweed”
5. The BBC and the Arab League: jointly silent on Darfur
6. Policeman jailed for 16 years for raping Holocaust survivor
7. Has Red Ken met his match?
8. Has President Ahmadinejad met his match?
9. UK Conservatives to make serious efforts to oust “Red Ken”
10. Which major newspaper will be the first to kill its print edition?
11. Giuliani’s girls go head to head with Obama’s girls on YouTube
12. Oprah Winfrey is the latest “Obama Girl”



[Note by Tom Gross]

I attach items written by myself for the National Review in recent days. These can also be accessed at the National Review website.

EXTRA LINK TO VIEW

Imagine...

 

“BUSH IS NOT GOING TO LEAVE OFFICE WITH IRAN STILL IN LIMBO”

(July 16, 2007)

According to the Qatari daily Al-Watan, Iran has let it be known that it has missiles capable of reaching 600 targets in Israel, which it says it would use if Iran is attacked by the United States. The Arabic link is here. (The article was not published by the paper in English.)

Meanwhile, the balance in the internal White House debate over Iran has shifted back in favor of military action before President George Bush leaves office in 18 months, the British paper The Guardian reports today:

“The shift follows an internal review involving the White House, the Pentagon and the state department over the last month. Although the Bush administration is in deep trouble over Iraq, it remains focused on Iran. A well-placed source in Washington said: ‘Bush is not going to leave office with Iran still in limbo.’”

Vice President Dick Cheney, who has long favored the possible use of military action against Iran, has apparently won the president’s support over Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and Defense Secretary Robert Gates, both of whom are said to oppose considering military action against Iran.

 

NOT SO PEACEFUL NOBEL PRIZE WINNERS

(July 13, 2007)

Following up on the item about Irish Nobel Peace Prize winner turned-would-be George Bush killer Betty Williams, one should remember that some Nobel Peace Prize winners have actually ordered the murder of representatives of the American government.

 

ITALIAN AMBASSADOR TREATS WOUNDED TROOPS TO MEDITERRANEAN HOSPITALITY

(July 17, 2007)

It is rare that one comes across a story about European generosity to American troops, so this piece, from the American Forces Press Service, provides a welcome change to all those negative stories about European attitudes to America.

Too bad it hasn’t appeared in the mainstream media. Here are some highlights:

WASHINGTON – A busload of wounded service members [many with limbs amputated] brought their appetites to the Italian Embassy here July 13 as the ambassador and his staff transformed the building into Washington’s most authentic Italian restaurant.

Italian Ambassador Giovanni Castellaneta hosted them for an evening of dinner and entertainment ... Guests dined on world-class Italian cuisine – lasagna, prosciutto and melon and salami skewers among the offerings – all prepared by the ambassador’s personal chef and served buffet-style.

... Tenor Sgt. 1st Class Antonio Guiliano, a member of the Army Band, presented a vocal performance in pitch-perfect acoustics. As he sang, musical notes composed by Puccini bounced off embassy walls adorned with Renaissance-era paintings and Etruscan artifacts...

 

FOR ONCE, AN ARTICLE IN THE LIBERAL PRESS TELLS IT AS IT IS: “ARABS PILE INTO DARFUR TO TAKE LAND ‘CLEANSED’ BY JANJAWEED”

(July 18, 2007)

For four years now, the left-liberal media has strenuously avoided mentioning that the perpetrators of the genocidal ethnic cleansing against the indigenous non-Arab population of Darfur are Arabs.

Papers like the New York Times and the Guardian and networks like the BBC and CNN have gone out of their way to ignore or downplay the fact that Arabs are behind the genocide. Of course, they wouldn’t dream of obscuring the facts like this if any other group were behind the attacks on Black Africans (Serbs, Israelis, Americans, or Europeans, for example).

This piece in the normally glaringly anti-western newspaper the Independent of London (the paper of which the notorious Robert Fisk is one of the chief foreign correspondents) therefore stands out:

Arabs from Chad and Niger are crossing into Darfur in “unprecedented” numbers, prompting claims that the Sudanese government is trying systematically to repopulate the war- ravaged region.

An internal UN report, obtained by The Independent, shows that up to 30,000 Arabs have crossed the border in the past two months. Most arrived with all their belongings and large flocks. They were greeted by Sudanese Arabs who took them to empty villages cleared by government and janjaweed forces.

One UN official said the process “appeared to have been well planned”. The official continued: “This movement is very large.”

Just to be clear, before the attacks started in 2003, Darfur was home to seven million people, mainly from three African tribes, Fur, Marsalit, and Zargahwa. Darfur literally means “Land of the Fur.” Some 2.5 million have now been forced to flee after attacks by Arab militia backed by Sudanese troops and warplanes. At least 200,000 non-Arabs have been killed and countless women and young girls raped.

The 22-member-state Arab League has done its best at the UN and other international bodies to ensure nothing is done to stop these crimes.

Where are the demonstrations by the so-called Western human-rights groups outside the offices of the Arab League?

** For more on the way left-liberal media has avoided mentioning who the perpetrators of the crimes in Darfur are, see the relevant paragraphs here.

** and this piece “Silence on the Arab Street” by Kamel Labidi, a courageous Tunisian journalist, which is the sixth item here.

 

THE BBC AND THE ARAB LEAGUE: JOINTLY SILENT ON DARFUR

(July 19, 2007)

Updating my earlier story on how the BBC and the Arab League together cover up what is going on in Darfur, I just watched the BBC program “HardTalk” in which presenter Stephen Sackur interviews – for almost 30 minutes – Amre Moussa, Secretary General of the Arab League.

Sackur didn’t ask Moussa about Darfur once, and instead just concentrated on allowing him to bash Israel. What a surprise.

(The BBC likes its anti-Israel programs, of which there are many, and the 30-minute interview with Moussa has now been broadcast seven times in the last 24 hours.)

Meanwhile, the BBC has just apologized and ordered an internal enquiry after it was caught repeatedly lying in its entertainment programs – see here and here. But when is it going to apologize for all the lying it does in its news and current affairs programs?

 

POLICEMAN JAILED FOR 16 YEARS FOR RAPING HOLOCAUST SURVIVOR

(July 15, 2007)

The Haifa District Court in Israel today sentenced Ahmed Hindawi, a 23-year-old Arab-Israeli policeman, to 16 and a half years in prison for raping and sodomizing a 70-year-old Holocaust survivor:

Hindawi had been driving along a highway north of Haifa, he noticed the victim walking along the side of the road. He stopped the car and demanded she enter the vehicle. The victim refused and crossed over to the other side of the road. Hindawi then exited his car and grabbed her, throwing her over the railing on the side of the road. The woman tried to push Hindawi off, but he struck her on the head until she released her grip on the railing. He then pulled her into a thorny bush and raped her.

Hindawi then urinated on her in order to humiliate her, and left her there with injuries all over her body.

His victim, who had rebuilt her life in Israel after surviving the Holocaust, is now a mental and physical wreck, according to the judge.

Hindawi’s short sentence – 16 years – was apparently based on the fact he had made a full confession and pleaded guilty. Nevertheless this utterly despicable crime surely deserved a life sentence. (There is no death penalty in Israel.)

 

HAS RED KEN MET HIS MATCH?

(July 13, 2007)

My friend and former colleague, Boris Johnson, former editor of Britain’s Spectator magazine and a columnist for the Daily Telegraph, is to challenge the truly awful “Red” Ken Livingstone for the position of Mayor of London.

The highly charismatic Boris, who is also a Conservative MP, is expected to electrify the race and pose the most serious challenge to Livingstone’s hopes of winning a third term.

Livingstone has made many enemies as mayor, not least through his anti-Semitism and anti-Americanism.

Among other things, Livingstone reacted to an entirely inoffensive question from a Jewish reporter for the local London paper the Evening Standard by telling him he was like a Nazi concentration camp guard; called the American ambassador to London, Robert Tuttle, a “chiselling little crook”; and told two British Jewish businessmen (who are not of Iranian origin) “go back to Iran” and live “under the ayatollahs.”

Many Londoners think it is Livingstone who is the “chiselling little crook” and will be hoping for a Boris victory.

 

HAS PRESIDENT AHMADINEJAD MET HIS MATCH?

(July 13, 2007)

Following up my earlier post today on the Mayor of London, “Has Red Ken met his match?,” we now have to ask whether the former Mayor of Teheran (President Ahmadinejad) has met his match?

Maybe it is a scene for Oliver Stone’s new movie?

 

UK CONSERVATIVES TO MAKE SERIOUS EFFORT TO OUST “RED KEN”

(July 16, 2007)

Following up my posting from Friday morning, “Has Red Ken met his match? ” within the last hour Boris Johnson has officially declared himself to be a candidate for mayor of London.

He used today’s edition of the British capital’s main newspaper, the Evening Standard, to officially announce his candidacy.

To add to what I wrote previously on Livingstone: at the same time as repeatedly calling for a boycott of Israeli companies, Livingstone has just signed a contract with a Chinese firm to take over one of London’s rail networks. China has brutally occupied Tibet since 1950, and is a key arms supplier to the Arab tribes committing genocide against the indigenous non-Arab African population in the Darfur region of Sudan. Not that the far Leftist London mayor would care about that.

 

WHICH MAJOR NEWSPAPER WILL BE THE FIRST TO KILL ITS PRINT EDITION?

(July 14, 2007)

Which major American newspaper will be the first to throw up its hands and say “Stop the Press! We’re only publishing online”?

Jon Fine of BusinessWeek is predicting that the San Francisco Chronicle may be the first to dispense with the paper, the presses, the trucks, and the mail rooms. He gives it another 18 to 24 months to survive as a printed product.

 

GIULIANI’S GIRLS GO HEAD TO HEAD WITH OBAMA’S GIRLS ON YOUTUBE

(July 16, 2007)

First, Temple University senior Leah Kauffman’s risquι video “I Got a Crush on Obama,” generated over 2.3 million views on YouTube.

Now, having seen the pro-Obama video featured in serious media like The Economist (“It is hard to envisage any other candidate inspiring anything similar,” opined the lofty weekly), Rudy’s girls are fighting back with their joint release today (with Obama’s girls) of a Giuliani v. Obama “political debate song” on YouTube.

 

OPRAH WINFREY IS THE LATEST OBAMA GIRL

(July 18, 2007)

The girls of the YouTube videos may need to step aside. The most important “Obama girl” is now likely to be talk show host Oprah Winfrey, who has announced she is to hold a fundraiser for Democratic hopeful Barack Obama at her palatial home near Santa Barbara, California, on September 8.

Obama already has the support of Hollywood moguls David Geffen and Jeffrey Katzenberg, and Winfrey’s fundraiser will be a chance for him to gain even more California showbiz money. Forbes magazine estimates that Winfrey is worth $1.5 billion. Obama has so far raised over $58 million for his White House bid.

Links in the item above:

-- Tom Gross


All notes and summaries copyright © Tom Gross. All rights reserved.